The Tome of Rassilon

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Some walk by night, some fly by day

As always, also available at http://www.tagworld.com/rassilon

You know how often things come up and people will say "I remember where I was when…" Well I kind of had one of those moments last night. It wasn’t Kennedy getting shot or 9/11. It was a more personal moment for me.
About two weeks ago, I bought seasons one and two of Moonlighting with Cybill Shepard and Bruce Willis and I was a big time fan of the show in the day. I watched it for the months of reruns and right until the end. Anyways, I am watching the DVD last night when I come upon an episode called ‘Somewhere under the rainbow’ when David (Bruce Willis) Addison starts discussing art. The line is


"I do know something about art. There are a couple of guys, a couple of artists whose work I admire and respect. Ruebens, Peter Paul Reubans happens to be a favourite of mine. Flemish, 17th Century, master of the Baroque style.
He liked to paint those big fat mamas with the major maracas. Liked his women well packed. An artistic notion not entirely lost on myself. You know what they say, the bigger the cushion, the better…"


Now the quote itself is giggleworthy, but it was more than that. I recall at the time I was living in London Ontario, it was Tuesday night and I was with, well as I have stated before I don’t like to name names on blogs so I will just say that if you are seeing this on my tagworld site it is one of the women pictured under my companions section.
It was the first time we watched the show and as a bonus she was an artist so she laughed at it as well. This all came flooding back to me when I heard the line and I was thinking that there are several things that I associate from our time together that have left reverberations of sorts. Mostly things dealing with entertainment. For example, there was a movie from the mid 80s called "Young Sherlock Holmes" which I have tried to watch again since I went to the premiere but it just gets too painful because it was because of it being the cause of why we first met (we both won tickets to the premiere and went to claim the tickets from the radio station at the same time). I drink a bottle of blueberry wine each December 3rd because it was the day we first met and that was her favourite drink. I still enjoy art myself but I don’t feel completely comfortable in an art gallery because that was our Wednesday night thing I am a neurosis wrapped in a psychosis ;).
I somehow doubt that I am unique in this. I mean there must be other people out there who practice a certain amount of avoidance due to residual emotions from a relationship. The difference, I am assuming in my case, is that for me it has been decades since I last saw or talked to her. Or maybe as a buddy of mine observed a while ago "You just need to get laid!" Hmm, there’s a thought. Later all. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home