The Tome of Rassilon

Friday, February 03, 2006

May I have this dance ?

Also viewable at http://www.tagworld.com/rassilon

Well kiddies, I have a story for you today. All tucked into your little beddie byes? Good, well what prompted this was an email that I got this morning. Well, that’s when I read it but I didn’t check to see when it was sent. Anyways that’s besides the point. Now I know this will read like an episode of ‘How I met your mother’ (Mondays at 8:30 or check your local listings ;) Anyways I got an email from my prom date which is odd but in a cool way because I was just thinking of her like last week.

The year was 1982 (lo, those many Eons ago, back when I was relatively young) and this young lady and I shared a French class together. She was beautiful (read that as Wah-hay out of my league) and I asked her to the prom. I had such sweaty palms when I was asking her if she wanted to go to the prom with me, well let’s just say if you shook hands with me at that point you would have thought I had previously shaken hands with Aquaman. The surprising thing for me was that she said yes.

So after the heart palpitations subsided, I tried to figure out my next step (not for that, get your mind out of the gutter). What ended up happening is pretty much every teen’s nightmare. I HAD TO HAVE MY MOM DRIVE US TO THE PROM! Now, my date was cool with it or if she wasn’t she didn’t let on (kudos!). The one thing that sticks out in my mind and I am more than likely not the only male this has happened to, when I got to her house I was greeted by her parents and her dad, as I recall, was kind of an intimidating figure. Then my date came into the room. I thought I had gone deaf and blind because she was the only person or thing I was aware of in the room. She had her hair done up and the dress was a really gorgeous gown. If someone had asked me my name at that point I would have been hard pressed to answer.

I am going to completely destroy my macho/hound image (don’t really have one here but hey, cut me some slack). I tried to present her with the corsage. Now as well as being beautiful she was also, hmm, I am trying to think of a polite and PC way of putting it, well she was built. So with her parents (especially her dad) watching, I did give it a try but eventually I had to hand it off before I pierced her.

The prom itself went not badly but I was so nervous. My first real date and to my eyes she was well, incredible would be an understatement. We ended off the evening by going out for Chinese which I seem to recall she didn’t have much of and I got her home safely. After that evening, each time I saw her I was a bit embarrassed because I felt I should have tried harder to make sure she had a good time but when you are 18 and male, you tend to be a bit selfish and self-centered.

Now as we hurtle forward in time to 2006, I am realizing just how much I have and have not changed. I can still be selfish and self-centered. I like to think I have matured but on a social scale, not so much. My social skills with the opposite sex is still sorely lacking, mind you for the most part I can now look an attractive woman in the eyes as opposed to the feet or the nipples (that does give me a somewhat higher standing than some out there). I still have a way to go so here’s hoping there is something to either the legends of immortality or maybe reincarnation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home