The Tome of Rassilon

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Oh say can you see? ...well not really

A BRAND NEW blog entry. Strike up the band!

As always available as well at http://www.tagworld.com/rassilon

First off, I want to start by saying I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a football fan. The whole process is a complete mystery to me and for the most part this blog entry will only touch on it in the periphery. Today’s topic is Super Bowl Sunday. Now how’s that for seeming contradiction in the first paragraph. ;)

Actually, what it is, is that I live in Canada (Did I mention that previously? No? Okay, I live in Canada, there. It’s said) and here in Canada we have an organization called the CRTC which stands for the Commission of Radio and TeleCommunications. It is kind of the Canadian version of the FCC in the United States. Anywho, it was decided to protect Canadian investments and advertising by whenever a Canadian broadcast of a show coincides with the an American one, the Canadian signal will take precedence. So, quite often when a network like say Fox, runs The Simpsons and it starts at 7:59:45, when 8:00:00 rolls around and Global (a Canadian Network) starts running it. The show re-starts and instead of being "seduced" by American advertising we get all Canadian ads.

Now normally I could give a rat’s backside. I mean I don’t agree with the practice but, ehn, you live with it. It is only Super Bowl that cheeses me off with respect to this. The rest of the free world gets to see all the cool, one-time commercials from the big boys. MEANWHILE we get to find out that Global will be running Survivor on Thursday and they will replay that twice or more during the same commercial break or the fact that smoking will be illegal in all restaurants, bars, pubs etc later this year.

Okay, fine! It’s childish! I admit it! But I want to see the ads without having to download them via the net or wait for the local morning show to show me what my government feels it has to protect me from. I assumed when I reached the age of consent, I could choose what I wanted to watch and digital dexterity would allow me to be able to change the channel if I didn’t like what I saw. Apparently that is not the case. Apparently the first time I see a commercial for a car or a computer or even feminine hygiene products, I will be overwhelmed with an uncontrollable desire to consume. Mind you, as Dennis Miller is fond of saying, "Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home