The Tome of Rassilon

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Times Past: Part 1 (?)

Okay, first and foremost, if you have been reading this blog on a regular basis of sorts, sorry for the two week + dry spell. Secondly, I am going to jump right into today’s point of discussion. It may be a bumpy ride so hang on tight.

Last Sunday, I was on Geoffjohns.com checking up on the news and general opinion in the realm of comics when I ran across a post which was somewhat of a call for help wrapped up in the guise of a farewell with a fairly permanent sound to it. I don’t know all the details and I respect the privacy of the poster by not prying. To what I understand, he has gone through a really rough patch and is trying to make sense of it all. Now I have "conversed" with this guy maybe one or two times via postings on the GJ.com message boards but I don’t expect to be on his Christmas card list (or Hannukah or Kwanzaa, I don’t know his beliefs or really anything personal about him) but from what I have been able to gather both from his own postings and discussions about him from other posters he is very intelligent, funny, and caring: all traits to be very proud of and beyond that lies mystery. I am obviously very glad that things didn’t turn out tragically in a permanent sense and that I hope I will be able to "chat" with him on the boards in the future to learn more about him.

As turn about is fair play, I feel that I should share something from my life along the same lines. It was, oof, eons ago, it feels like, I was involved with the young lady I had mentioned in a previous post, who I knew from London, Ontario and who originally came from Guyana. We had been together for some time and the discussion of moving forward in the relationship to the possibility of marriage came up (this was back when marriage was still a popular option for couples ;). I was working as a dishwasher at a country club at the time and she was from a fairly well off family in her home country with ties to the government and during her first year at University in London her cash ran low and she had to go through the Kraft Dinner and ravioli feasts that pretty much everyone has gone through from time to time and it scared her and so we slowly started to break up because she felt I wasn’t going to get much further in life than that (to which, I have more or less proved her right). Within a month, we were no longer a couple. I started getting tanked on Blueberry wine (which was her favourite) and calling up old companions basically to share my misery and ended up losing some companions because of it. Finally, I was miserable and considering offing myself. I was younger, emotional and felt that life had finally decided to go all out in its attempts to metaphorically whack me in the ‘nads.

Obviously the fact that I am typing this shows how it turned out in the end. The things that kept me going were first off, the idea of constant ongoing pain if I failed and I felt that would even include trying sleeping pills overdose etc because I figured they have to pump the stomach and dependant on the damage, well I won’t get into details. Secondly, I never leave a movie halfway through no matter how bad it is (which explains me knowing the full horror of having seen ‘Batman and Robin’ ) and basically I feel my life is like a crap movie with little or no plot, no romantic interest and little characterization (I’m so one dimensional, it’s scary).
Basically, I have been there, done that, taken the tour and bought the T-shirt. Accept the word of one who knows. My advice: You CAN look into the Abyss but to make sure it doesn’t win, stick your tongue out at it when you are there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home