The Tome of Rassilon

Monday, October 17, 2005

Hello, I love you, won`t you tell me your name?

Okay, I’ll confess. I don’t look most people in the eyes when I talk to them. Generally, I try to look at the point just above a person’s nose between the two eyes because there is something about the experience that I am just very uncomfortable with. Before I get responses to this however, with the exception of when I am at a peeler bar, I do not generally look a woman straight in the nipples. The reason I bring this up is because of a woman that I used to work with that I met yesterday at the mall. She is the ONLY woman that I look in the eyes because I get mesmerized. She has two different coloured eyes and I think the reason I can look her in the eyes (and this is just a weird analysis of my psyche) is because it is like talking to two different people and it would be rude to neglect one or the other.

I suppose that with another of my countless birthdays that I am getting a bit introspective about my past. Admittedly, the young lady I was referring to was not a major part of my past although we did get along well but it did get me thinking. I’m not going to re-hash the situation between the young lady I mentioned in the blog entry entitled "And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like…" but when you have lived as long as I have its almost inevitable that you will get involved with someone on some level. I’m not sure that I can say that I loved any one of them. There are times that I honestly think I don’t even know what the term means (this comes from years of distancing yourself from others). But there have been special people in my life.
There was a young mother of two great kids that used to work at the restaurant with myself and the other young woman I mentioned with the two different coloured eyes and to say that I was interested in her was definitely an understatement but she was married so it was a hands-off scenario. After about 2 years of knowing her, her husband decided to leave her and the kids. I did what I could to console her but I didn’t do anything too pushy or anything because I felt she needed the chance to sort things out for herself before getting involved with anyone. After about 2 days, she hooked up with a friend of the family and they have been together since. The last time I saw her was at the same restaurant after it moved and before it went under. I have no idea where she is or what she is doing now, but I hope that she is happy.

I happened to work with a very attractive (read that as HOT!) young woman in Calgary who I was interested in for some time and finally worked up the courage to ask out to the second Austin Powers movie (showing my age here aren’t I?). I had a great time but I can’t say it was a mutual thing. I think in large part because I kept on looking at her instead of the movie which may have creeped her out a bit. I asked if she wanted to go for coffee afterwards and was quickly told no and after that, things were a bit awkward between us. I tend to disbelieve that old adage of "Better to have loved and lost…etc."

There is one young woman who will always have a special place in my heart (again assuming I have one) and this is the only woman I ever proposed to. It was the mid-80s and I was new to London, Ontario. I was working at a country club and was listening to the radio when I called in and won two tickets to the premiere of the movie "Young Sherlock Holmes". As I didn’t really know anyone in the area, I offered them to a co-worker so she and her boyfriend could go. The radio station was on the outskirts of town and I got there a bit before 5:45. I picked up the tickets and went out for the bus to catch it on the turn around. As I was waiting, an attractive young woman came up and we started talking. I showed her a present I got for my best friend (who I have mentioned several times in this blog thus far) and also mentioned my plans for the tickets when she practically floored me by asking me if I wanted to go with her. After the shock wore off, I said yes and we exchanged numbers. Premiere night came and we had a great time and I was lost just looking at her beautiful face. Just to show how gushing I can be, at the point where I had to get off the bus I just spontaneously grabbed her and kissed her deeply. It was the beginning of December but that kiss kept me warm for the remaining 20 minutes walk home. We were together about a year. She originally came from Guyana, South America so I have no idea literally where in the WORLD she could be.

I am not really sure what I intended this entry to be about. I suppose it is a bit of reflection and wool-gathering. I decided to keep this brief believe it or not so as not to overwhelm anyone. I might do this again in the future, so you have all been warned ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home