The Tome of Rassilon

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My Relative Dimentia ;)

So, I've been doing this blog now for about two weeks and I have realized that although I have named it after a science-fiction (or scientifiction as it was known in the 30s and 40s) I haven't really made much in the way of reference to Sci-Fi. I am planning to make amends now. Those of you not into this, I hope to see you tomorrow (read chapters 3 and 4 of your textbook and don't forget the permission slips signed by your parents ;)

So, today I want to discuss the new Doctor on Doctor Who, David Tennant. More specifically, I want to discuss what has been chosen as the new basis for his costume. As I have seen in the promotional pictures thus far, it is a brown pinstripe suit and sneakers. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the costume but at the same time, I have always found The Doctor's wardrobe to be somewhat unique and stylish, this is more easily a blend into the crowd kind of outfit. Think about it, he is an alien who can travel throughout time and space and the outfits he is choosing is standard 20-21st century businesswear. According to Russel T. Davies via Doctor Who Magazine the reason is that they didn't want it to look like a costume, they just wanted it to look more like clothes but for the most part the first three Doctors (William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee) had a great style sense but it didn't come across as a costume as such. Even Tom Baker managed to pull it off to some extent even with a 20 foot long scarf.

Just to be clear, I AM a fan and I AM looking forward to "The Christmas Invasion" which will be the first story to feature Mr. Tennant as the tenth Doctor. I want the series to succeed and run as long as possible but at the same time blind loyalty helps no one and this is just my opinion which I don't expect to change anything. Actually, that brings up another point, with him being able to travel in time AND SPACE why did all the ninth Doctor's stories take place on Earth or in orbit above it? The only thing I come up with is that while the series was establishing itself, the BBC didn't want to go for everything at once to upset or confuse viewers but would ONE alien planet have killed them?

Finally, for anyone in the Sherbrooke QC area. A week from tonight is the premiere of a local movie I performed in (Man, did I ever end up looking like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys) at the Granada Theatre in downtown Sherbrooke as part of the monthly film festival. There isn't an entry charge just a suggested donation and the fun starts about 7:30 p.m. I'll probably be mentioning this in most if not all the posts until then. Until then, so sorry must dash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home