The Tome of Rassilon

Thursday, September 22, 2005

dating and relationships as a necessary evil ;)

I have been thinking about dating and meeting people for the past few days because a buddy of mine and I are probably going out on the weekend to see if we can meet some new people. The bar environment isn't one I can honestly say that I'm comfortable in. But how else do you meet people? The places you can meet people has mutated in the past few decades. If you were in school and tried to ask someone out who ended up wasn't interested they'd probably shoot you. If you ask someone at work if they want to go for coffee you get slapped by a sexual harassment suit. Then there are the old reliables, the library and the church, both known for their "Girls gone wild" attitudes.

Seriously though, what I am looking for in a woman, and I have used this description numerous times, is someone I can go with for dinner, movie and a bit of dancing on a Saturday night and curl up on the couch and watch old movies on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Before anyone mentions it. I do realize, being at least somewhat human, that in ANY relationships arguments occur and it isn't all cheery 24/7. Even I'm not that niave but on a general basis this is what I would be looking for in a relationship.

The problem, I guess, is trying to figure out what the opposite sex is looking for. I'd almost have to be a centipede to count the women I have known who have been involved with a guy who is an alcoholic or smacks them around or cheats on them repeatedly and keeps having them come back. I have a perfect example of the last one especially.

There is this woman I have known for about fifteen or more years at this point. She is intelligent, charming, has a great job and is very beautiful. Almost each and every year her husband, who she has had two kids with, cheats on her. She knows it. Everyone who knows her knows it, but each and every time she takes him back. It just boggles my mind. She could have any man she pleases and she continually puts up with the disrespect.

Maybe that's the big stumbling block for me. When I am looking for someone, it's someone I can respect as well as love. Somehow, John bum, bum, bum, the bad boy doesn't quite work for me but maybe asking for someone I can respect as well as date is asking for too much doing so. That's it! I have simple tastes! I only want the best ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home