The Tome of Rassilon

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Shut my mouth...Literally!

I was thinking yesterday that there is something that really bothers me about life presently. I live in Quebec (THAT’s not what bugs me, I’m getting to it) and it is a majority of francophone province. I know that and I am fine with that. In this province we have a government office known as "L’office de la langue Francaise" or as it is more commonly known here in the province, The language police.

Now, for the most part it is a department with more teeth than brain cells active going around making sure that the general populace is not corrupted or seduced by any language other than French. Point of fact, in the mid-Eighties, they were fining and taking to court a bakery owner who had the word welcome translated into about 30 languages besides French and even though French was at the top he was told the other languages were illegal and the sign would have to be changed. This is also the same lot that had Eaton’S become Eaton! because apostrophe’s indicating possession are Anglophone.

But I digress, my problem yesterday arose from a training that I am receiving at work. It is as well a majority francophone establishment and the training is in French. I am cool with that. The thing is yesterday, I discovered that the materials, because the client company who hires my company has offices all over Canada, are also available in English. Apparently, because the company that I work for is in Quebec and has over 50 employees, training is required to be given in French. Of course! Because otherwise I might actually benefit from the training. At the best of times I am not overly fond of bureaucratic bull. I am even less enamoured of them when they inhibit rather than help the individual.

I realize that one of the main reasons that such an establishment is in place to protect the North American minority French populace which is a valid concern. I do not dispute that, however I am being penalized because of it and quite honestly that blows. Geez! Who knew I could speak so poetically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home